Oregon Waste Tire Carrier Bond

Oregon Waste Tire Carrier Bond 

The Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) requires a $5,000 Waste Tire Carrier Bond to guarantee that carriers will comply with the stipulations of their permit. You can find the best rates for your Waste Tire Carrier Bond with Jet Insurance Company. 


Our team is committed to providing low cost bonding solutions — purchasing a Waste Tire Carrier Bond through monthly payments is exclusive to Jet Insurance Company.

If you are needing the Oregon Waste Tire Storage Bond please visit our page to apply.

What Is the Cost of the Waste Tire Carrier Bond?

With Jet, the rates for a $5,000 Waste Tire Carrier Bond start at $100 for one year and $10 per month. Jet processes your rates quickly following a quick review after the submission of the application. Other companies use the underwriting process to tack on broker fees and earn commissions. Jet cuts out the middleman to make sure you get the lowest price for your bond.

Waste Tire Carrier Bond Cost
Term Cost
Monthly $10
1 Year $100
2 Years $175
3 Years $250

*Rates may vary and are based on the personal credit of the business owner. Most applicants will qualify for the rates above with decent credit.

How Do I Purchase a Waste Tire Carrier Bond with Jet Insurance?

When you are ready to purchase your bond, simply click the Purchase Bond button to begin our quick and easy process. You will be able to submit basic information and be able to purchase the bond in moments. 

The price of the bond is determined through Jet’s underwriting process. We do include a soft credit check which will not affect your credit score. Jet’s underwriting takes seconds as opposed to other companies who may take days to get back to you.

How To File the Waste Tire Carrier Bond

After the bond purchase is complete, our team will execute the Waste Tire Carrier Bond, filling out all required fields and sealing the bond form.  An original bond copy must be sent to the Department of Environmental Quality. Other carriers will ship the bond to you, putting the responsibility of submitting the bond on you and taking the opportunity to add on shipping costs. But with Jet, our team will submit your bond to the appropriate DEQ Regional Office based on which county your business is located in.

If you need your bond to submit along with other paperwork to the DEQ, Jet will mail the original bond directly to you. To determine which Regional Office you will be working with, use the chart below to find the county where your business is based. 

Oregon Department of Environmental Quality Regions
Mailing Address Counties Under Jurisdiction

Eastern Region 

Materials Management Program 
400 E Scenic DR, Ste 307
The Dalles, OR 97058

Baker, Crook, Deschutes, Gilliam, Grant, Harney, Hood River, Jefferson, Klamath, Lake, Malheur, Morrow, Sherman, Umatilla ( including Milton- Freewater ), Union, Wallowa, Wasco, Wheeler

Northwest Region 

Environmental Partnerships
700 NE Multnomah St, Ste 600
Portland, OR 97232

Clackamas, Clatsop, Columbia, Multnomah, Tilamook, Washington

Western Region

Materials Management Program
165 E Seventh Ave, Ste 100
Eugene, OR 97401 

Benton, Coos, Curry, Douglas, Jackson, Josephine, Lane, Lincoln, Linn, Marion, Polk, Yamhill

Why Is the Waste Tire Carrier Bond Required by the DEQ?

The DEQ requires all waste tire carrier permits to be submitted with a form of financial assurance in the amount of $5,000, such as the Waste Tire Carrier Bond. The bond encourages the protection of the environment from the dangers of improperly stored waste tires by promoting the proper transportation and disposal of tires that can no longer serve their purpose. 

In Oregon, it is estimated that 2.6 million tires are not properly recovered, leading to large, illegal tire piles. These piles are not only unpleasant to look at, they pose a risk to the environment. Disease-carrying rodents find shelter in tire piles. Within the rainwater tires collect, mosquitos find the perfect habitat to reproduce. Tire piles can also catch on fire, polluting the air, soil, and water with toxic substances released through smoke plumes and runoff oils from melting tires. Additionally, illegal piles deny opportunities for alternatives to waste tire disposal, such as recycling or repurposing into fuel. The DEQ is charged with protecting Oregonians from all such risks and the bond is a tool used to guarantee damaged parties find financial restitution.

Which Businesses Need a Waste Tire Carrier Bond?

Oregon’s Waste Tire Management Program is in charge of the proper disposal of waste tires through permitted facilities and carriers. A waste tire carrier permit is needed for any persons picking up or hauling waste tires to a site where the tires will be stored. All permits issued by the DEQ require a $5,000 bond to be posted. 

A waste tire carrier permit is not required in the following situations: 

Do I Need to Renew a Waste Tire Carrier Bond?

Yes; while the permit runs for a 3-year term, your bond must be continually in force during that period and will remain in force until cancelled by the Jet. Your bond may be purchased for 1-year terms, but must be renewed annually with Jet or the bond will be cancelled. As your bond term ends, you will receive ample notice from Jet to renew the bond. To continue your bond coverage, you will need to submit payment for the new bond term. 

Maintaining your bond is an important part of your permit. If there is a gap in coverage, or no bond on file, your waste tire carrier permit may be suspended or revoked. 

Can I Cancel the Bond and Get a Refund?

Yes, you can with Jet! Most other bonding companies retain minimum earned premiums and their agents will withhold their commission before returning premium back to you., Jet has a different philosophy. We only count the time that your bond was in effect and the 45 days that the DEQ holds the bond after the cancellation request has been received. The rest of the unused time will be calculated for your refund, making sure you get the most money back in your pocket.  

How To Avoid a Waste Tire Carrier Bond Claim

It is in your best interest to prevent claims since they are a result of failing to satisfy the regulations set by the DEQ, listed in the Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS) Chapter 459.705 - 459.790. Some possible claims are: 

  • Not reporting the quantity of waste tires moved and method of disposal to the DEQ 
  • Causing harm to public health, welfare, or safety or to the environment as a result of failing to adhere to standard tire carrier operations

Claims can be filed at any point during the time you hold your waste tire carrier permit. Even after your permit ends, a claim can be filed up to 2 years after the bond ends. The claim must apply to the period of time during your permit and will be investigated by Jet to make sure the claim is legitimate. 

What Happens When a Claim is Filed Against the Waste Tire Carrier Bond?

If a claim is filed against your bond, Jet will conduct an investigation to see if the claim is valid. Within 30 days, Jet will acknowledge and open communications with the claimant, as well as provide proof of loss forms and any other paperwork needed. Once the proof of loss form has been properly filled out, it usually takes 45 days or less for Jet to complete the investigation and accept or deny the claim. 

Jet Insurance will always work on your behalf to make sure that you are not being falsely accused. However, if the claim comes from a government entity, such as the DEQ, it is likely they have conducted their own investigation prior to filing the claim. The DEQ will provide an opportunity to correct any violations and this process can be reviewed in the Secretary of State statutes

Once Jet pays the claim, it is your responsibility to pay back the amount of the claim to keep your bond active. Unlike insurance that protects you, bonds are used to protect the public from your actions. Since the claim investigation proved that your actions caused harm, you are still ultimately responsible.

Will I Need a Bond Rider to Update My Bond With Business Changes?

During the course of business, you could experience a number of changes, some of which may need to reflect on your bonding. The DEQ lists business name, entity or ownership changes as these changes that would result in a bond rider or a whole new bond. 

When a bond is still in effect, a bond rider will add the correct information to a bond to make it accurate. Riders are usually used when there are changes to the business name or physical address. 

Certain changes require a completely new bond to be submitted to the DEQ. These usually are required for changes in ownership or entity type. The reason for this is that new ownership will require all new paperwork and a new application submitted to  the DEQ. Additionally, bonds go through underwriting and are based primarily on the owner’s credit; if the ownership changes, the cost of the bond will change. 

If you are not sure if your business changes will require a rider or a completely new bond, the DEQ can help you decide which is the correct step. Jet can help you with either step, just give our office a call. 


Oregon Waste Tire Carrier Bond Form