Idaho Contractor License Bonds

There are three governing entities in Idaho that oversee Idaho state contractor license bond requirements. The Idaho Division of Building Safety enforces a bond for plumbing, HVAC, and water treatment contractors. The Idaho Department of Insurance and State Fire Marshal , requires all fire protection sprinkler contractors to secure a bond. The Idaho Department of Health and Welfare requires that contractors who install sewage disposal systems carry a bond.


No matter the license classification, contractors will only need to pay a portion of the bond limit for full coverage.

Contractors License Bond Cost

Plumbing, HVAC, fire sprinkler, and water treatment contractors needing a $2,000 license bond will have the option to pay either $9 monthly or in $100 in full. These bonds are auto-approved and available to secure immediately online.

*Preferred Price
Bond Limit Monthly | Annual
Bond Limit: $2,000 Plumbing/Specialty Contractor Bond Monthly | Annual: $9 | $100
Bond Limit: $2,000 HVAC/Specialty Contractor Bond Monthly | Annual: $9 | $100
Bond Limit: $2,000 Fire Sprinkler Contractor Bond Monthly | Annual: $9 | $100
Bond Limit: $2,000 Water Treatment Contractor Bond Monthly | Annual: $9 | $100

Subsurface sewage disposal system installers in Idaho have two different bond requirements but both bonds are $9 monthly or $100 in full. A $5,000 bond is required for a standard and basic alternative system installer's registration permit is. A $15,000 bond is required for a standard, basic and complex alternative system installer's registration permit.

*Preferred Price
Bond Limit Monthly | Annual
Bond Limit: $5,000 Standard/Basic Sewage System Monthly | Annual: $9 | $100
Bond Limit: $15,000 Complex Sewage System Monthly | Annual: $9 | $100

How is the Contractor Bond Filed with Idaho?

For the plumbers, HVAC and water treatment contractors Jet will email the contractor bond original to upon purchase. The original Fire Protection Sprinkler contractor bonds are mailed to the Idaho State Fire Marshal. For sewage disposal system installers the bond in sent in with the original application to the Director Idaho Department of Health and Welfare and for bond renewals, Jet will mail it.

In either case, Jet will take care of the bond filing to the state and mail a copy to the contractor for the contractor’s records along with a bond card. The only step for the contractor is to purchase the contractor bond by clicking the Buy Now button to the bond requirement they are in need of.

BUY NOW $2,000 Plumbing/Specialty Contractor Bond

BUY NOW $2,000 HVAC/Specialty Contractor Bond

BUY NOW $2,000 Fire Sprinkler Contractor Bond

BUY NOW $2,000 Water Treatment Contractor Bond

BUY NOW $5,000 Standard/Basic Sewage Disposal System Installer Bond

BUY NOW $15,000 Complex Sewage Disposal System Installer Bond

Why are these Idaho Contractor Bonds Required?

Surety bonds are required for contractors to guarantee they will fulfill contractual obligations. In cases they do not, a client can file a claim against the contractor license bond. If the claim is discovered to be valid by the surety company, they will pay the affected party up to the full bond limit. The contractor is then held liable to pay the surety company back that amount and potentially any additional legal fees incurred.

A claim may be filed against if the contractor:

Only five classes of contractors in the state of Idaho are required to carry a license bond. Most classes are not regulated, but should carry other coverages and provide warranties to avoid financial consequences that can arise for damages to clients and third parties.

Other Coverages for Contractors

The State Fire Marshal requires all fire sprinkler protection contractors to obtain general liability insurance with aggregate limits of no less than $250,000. General liability insurance is recommended for all contractors as it provides coverage when third-party damages or injury occurs on the job site. Many jobs will require the contractor to hold a general liability policy prior to starting work.

Contractors who employ full-time workers may need to purchase and maintain a workers’ comp policy, which covers employees if they become ill or obtain an injury due to the job.

Public projects often require contractors to secure a city or county bond to ensure the contractor will deliver work per the contract.