Jet Journal

A Freight Broker's Guide to Success: How to Change Your Freight Brokerage Business Name

Estimated Read Time: 3 minutes


Freight brokers can change the name of their business quite easily. In this guide we’ll walk you through the steps of getting the necessary information submitted to the FMCSA.

To start you will need to fill out and complete the MCSA-5889 form (Motor Carrier Records Change Form). The MCSA-5889 will change both your DOT and MC legal name. If your business is a corporation or LLC you must register with the state your brokerage is located in and receive your articles of incorporation.

Step 1: Complete Section A by entering business information and signing

Step 2: Complete Section C

If your business is not a LLC or INC select the following options and choose whether to pay by credit card or money order or check

If your business is a LLC or INC you will need to select the following options and choose which method of payment.

Step 3: Complete Section E

Fill in relevant information on section E based on which payment option you chose on section C.

The FMCSA recommends you pay by credit card since it has the least amount of processing time.

Note: A completed form will have sections A, C, and E completed and contain the following: Your DOT/MC numbers on each page, contact phone number and email address, current address, current company name, and the new company name

Once you have completed the MCSA-5889 form and, if applicable, have a copy of the articles of incorporation, you are ready to submit information to the FMCSA.

The FMCSA has three ways to file this form: online ticket, fax, or mail.

The quickest method is to submit a ticket through the Ask FMCSA portal and pay by credit card.

Step 1: Go to the Ask FMCSA portal

Step 2: Click on send us a ticket

Step 3: Fill out the Contact FMCSA form

Step 4: Select Operating Authority under Inquiry Type

Step 5: Select Change/update my operating authority information (Name/address/phone) under I need to…

Step 6 (if applicable): Upload your articles of incorporation

Step 7: Find your copy of articles of incorporation

Step 8: Click continue

Note: There will be a confirmation email sent by the FMCSA, if it does not appear in your inbox make sure to check your spam folder.

Submit via Fax

Fax a complete, printed and signed MCSA-5889 to 202-366-3477. If applicable you will need to include your articles of incorporation with the fax.

Finally, the slowest option, submission via mail. Decide what payment method works best for you: check, cashier’s check, money order, or credit card.

Pay by check, cashier’s check, or money order:

Regular mail

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

P. O. Box 6200-33

Portland, OR 97228-620

Express mail

U.S. Bank Government Lockbox 

Attn: Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration 6200-33

17650 NE Sandy Blvd.

Portland, OR  97230

Please note paying by check may delay the processing for 6-8 weeks due to mail delays associated with cashing a check.

Pay by credit card:

If you wish to pay by credit card; mail your completed MCSA-5889 form and, if applicable, articles of incorporation to

US Department of Transportation

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Office of Registration and Safety Information (MC-RS)

Room W65-206

1200 New Jersey Avenue, S.E.

Washington, D.C. 20590

If you are a broker that is in the process of name change it is important to inform your Surety Provider so they may update your freight broker bond with the FMCSA. During a name change process your current bond can be canceled and in order to maintain your authority it will need to be refiled by your Surety Provider.
For any unanswered questions or to inquire about getting a BMC-84 bond with Jet Surety please give us a call at (855) 470-3773 or email us at [email protected].

Others You May Enjoy

Get a Quote